Thursday, March 13, 2008

Macrame is all the rage

Now, an interview with Erika, the designer behind all the lovely items found in this shop

- How did you get started ?
I get started knotting when i was very young, watching the other girls braiding their scooby doo at school. Starting to braid my scooby doos on my own, i continued trying the japanese tecnique of kumihimo and the european chain mail, realizing a true iron chain mail for a role games player. Not much time ago i have a found an old book about chochet, sew and macrame, and now i'm in love with the macrame, because i consider it the king of all knotting arts.

- Where are you from?

I'm from Italy. I live in a city in the centre of the state, in a valley sorrounded by the Appennini mountains.

- Are your creations limited editions or unique?
Some, like the knotted bracelets, are unique, and some are "limited edition", knowing that the general shape can be the same, but there are some differences between the items that make unique every object i made ^^

- How long have you been doing it?
One year...i have discovered my artistic side quite late and i have so much to learn!

- Are you a professional artist or is this a hobby?
This is only a beautiful hobby for me...it helps me to have the mind free from problems.

- What inspires you?
I don't know ^^ I can answer that all inspires me...a chat with my friends, a song...i have a lot of ideas, and i can't make all with macrame! I have an exercise book where i write the patterns and the ideas that now i can't realize for a future use.

- What is your favorite piece (that you still have for sale) and why?
My favourite piece is Gabriel, the tiny earring angel. Soon i will realize the pendant and other earrings with other colors' beads!

- How do you promote your work?
I have opened a lot of blogs, and i'm trying to promote the others shops to promote the mine ^^ Karma tells us to give before receiving ^^

- Where are you showing your work?
I show my work in my DaWanda shop , in my english blog and in my italian blog ...I have also other blogs, but these are the my favourite blogs.

- What advice you wish someone had told you when you started?
To be patient and to have more items to show ^^ i have learned this on my own.

- Do you have any advice for fellow artists?

The same above ^^

- anything else you'd like to add?
I'm searching other macrame artists...i want to make up-to-date this art: my idea is to stop with the lace of our grandma! ^^

So if any of you is a macrame addict and wants to discuss their art, do contact her.
Her blog http://knotsme.blogspot.com

2 comments:

Erika said...

Beautiful work, thank you!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous. I too am a macrame artist. See my work at www.butterflymoon.etsy.com

Related Links

Related Posts with Thumbnails