Tuesday, April 7, 2009

13 threads and counting

Let' s meet Lois Sturgeon of 13threads.etsy.com

- How did you get started ?
13threads was started just over a a year ago when I finally had some time to devote to designing and sewing full-time, some spare money to buy some supplies and equipment and with the discovery of Etsy as the perfect outlet for my work.

- Where are you from?
I am originally from Scotland but I did most of my growing up in Los Angeles, Portland (Oregon), San Francisco and Zurich.

- Are your creations limited editions or unique?
They are a bit of both. Many pieces are "one-offs" , however, I will recreate a particular design but I will change it slightly each time I make it. I will use different fabrics or finishings in order to keep each piece unique. For example, my black twill zip front coats are all finished differently inside.

- How long have you been doing it?
From the making of my dolls clothes to the redesigning of my school blazer, I guess I have always been sewing and creating. It has just always been part of my life.

- Are you a professional artist or is this a hobby?
Again, a little bit of both. I see myself as very professional in my pursuit to create and produce the highest quality pieces that I can. I put the same amount of care and dedication into my research and designing as I do into my sewing techniques and customer service. I love what I do.
- What inspires you
An illustration, someone walking down the street, costumes in film, museums, textiles and patterns...The list is endless. At the moment, I am really interested in images from the 1920's and 1930's and the wonderful embellishment and layering of clothes.

- What is your favorite piece (that you still have for sale) and why?
My favourite piece that I still have for sale is my green Harris Tweed coat. Although it is an amazingly flattering and elegant style, it is the colours and weave of the beautiful Harris Tweed cloth that makes it special.

- How do you promote your work?
Word of mouth and recommendations from existing customers. I wear my own designs as does my daughter. It helps when wonderful people like yourself promote my work by featuring my items in their online blogs or magazines. And I am very grateful!

- What is your favorite material
I love natural fibres and textiles like silk, cotton, linen and wool. I also like to use recycled pieces of lace and embroidery when I can find them.

- What advice you wish someone had told you when you started?
Stay positive and enjoy what you are doing

- Do you have any advice for fellow artists?
Stay positive, enjoy what you are doing and take a break now and again

- any special promos?
If someone emails me with a link from this blog entry I will give them free postage and packing.

- what would you liek to be when you grow up ?
Still trying to figure that one out but what I am doing right now would be pretty good.

- favorite jeweller ?
I would love to have any and all of the pieces by Kathi Roussel and Erica Walker

- favorite websites ?
any spare time I have, which is not a lot, is spent on Etsy browsing, updating and shopping!

Looks like a sane addiction :)
Good luck with your nice shop

1 comment:

AMIdesigns said...

Nice interview and a great shop

Related Links

Related Posts with Thumbnails