Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Interview with designer Sarah Burghard



Let me introduce you to a talented deigner:
Sarah Burghard of Sarah Burghard Designs  

who are you, How did you get started, what do you make ?

I am a Textile Designer creating bespoke interior furnishings designed to reflect my client’s unique story and identity. The textiles are placed onto products such as lampshades, cushions, and upholstered furniture 

who are your creations for ?
I supply with Boutique Hotels, Interior Designers, business environments and private clients.

How long have you been creating ?
I’ve always made things since I was a child. I retrained when my children reached school age and worked freelance for a few years before launching my business officially in October 2014 at The Independent Hotel Show

What/who inspires you ?
I’m inspired by fine artists such as Louise Borgeois for her use of textiles and memories and Jenny Saville for her beautiful use of paint and texture. 
I’m influenced by colour masters such as Rothko and Joseph Albers and grew up admiring great designers such as Tricia Guild and Terrance Conran. 
More recently i have discovered the brilliant styling work of Sibella Court. 
I aspire to emulate those who have successfully set up and built a creative or design business from scratch as I’m in awe of their determination, drive and their skills to make their vision a reality.

Your favourite pieces and materials…
I love drawing and writing with inks onto all sorts of papers and tissues also printing by hand on to all sorts of fabrics such as hessian, cotton, antique lace, denim and leather. 
These hand made designs are then reproduced digitally to create bespoke textile designs which incorporate everyday objects such as letters, postcards, archive materials and mapping.

Any advice for budding designers ?
Find your niche and combine your creative mind with your business brain

Any special promos...
This month Sarah is delighted to be featuring in The Stroud International Textiles Open Studio Event and Exhibition during May 2015

As a child, what did  you want to be when you grow up ?
An actress, which I achieved as I worked in Theatre, TV & Commercials for over 10 years before having my children. I bring this interest in character and story into my design work.

Favourite jewellery piece
I LOVE This piece - it’s not hard to see why !!! 
It’s now on my Christmas list….GORGEOUS….

HOT PINK TOPAZSTATEMENT RING



 


Favourite restaurant or place to visit in the UK  and why?
My favourite place to visit is any bric a brac shop or market. I love discovering an item that has a history that triggers the starting point for a design. 
For eating and drinking, it has to be my local pub The Woolpack, where Laurie Lee set the novel Cider With Rosie.
I am very lucky to live and work in such a beautiful place. Slad Valley has breathtaking views and the pub is simply a great place to eat and drink….

Thank you Sarah,

Come see her work, and follow her at:



No comments:

Related Links

Related Posts with Thumbnails