Monday, March 2, 2009

a Yarn Obsession

Ever heard of a Yarn OBsession? Meet Sedruola Maruska aka "Sedie", owner of

- website: http://www.sedruolamaruska.com/
- shop: http://sedruola.etsy.com/
- twitter: http://www.twitter.com/sedruola
- Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages/Yarn-Obsession/22453642035

- blog: http://yarnobsession-2.blogspot.com/

- How did you get started? I started crocheting about 7 years ago after I met my husband's grandmother who did so many crafts I felt I could at least do one. Then about a year after that, I decided I wanted to learn to knit at well. So I now knit and crochet and have been designing patterns since 2004.
- Where are you from? I'm originally from Queens, NY

- Are your creations limited editions or unique? Yes, usually my creations are limited editions, because I don't like to keep doing the same thing over and over again for too long. I think the longer I design and work on developing my skills, the more unique my items are and become.

- How long have you been doing it? For about 7 years

- Are you a professional artist or is this a hobby? I'm working very hard these days to make my yarn my profession. I have lots of ideas of how to make it work, but time is elusive. I'm thinking that in the next 4-6 months I'll be well on my way to having established a business presence and therefore on my way to making yarn my profession.

- What inspires you? Becoming my own boss and being able to be flexible enough to spend time with my family is what inspires me and motivates me. Secondly, the yarn inspires me. When I have yarn, I spend quite a bit of time looking at it to see what it should become. I also love to look at the fashions that come out each year to see what can be re-created in yarn or what can be "improved upon" by being made with yarn.

- What is your favorite piece (that you still have for sale) and why? Right now my favorite piece is one that I created to sell the pattern. It's the cropped top that can be found here http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=21126133. This is my first "fashion" piece and I love the way it came out. I kept the sample for myself because I felt I'd made too many "errors" on it to sell, but it's so soft and drapey and wonderful! I really look forward to having people try the pattern and tell me what they think of the design.

- How do you promote your work? Via all my online sites, I talk about it all the time to those I know and I donate items to various charitable events. I also give out business cards and do a few craft shows a year.

- Where are you showing your work? Right now my showcase spots are my Etsy shop and my website.

- What is your favorite material? After creating my cropped top, I'm in love with bamboo yarn!

- What advice you wish someone had told you when you started? Be patient with yourself and your work. Keep steady, do what feels right for you and your art, learn all you can and things will work out in the direction you set your sites.

- Do you have any advice for fellow artists? Just what I said above.

- any special promos? Right now I have a contest to give away one of my most popular items, you can find the details on my blog. I also have a few items in my shop marked down 25%. And finally, for March, National Craft Month, I'll be running several small contests at random times to celebrate and educate my customers on the benefits of handmade.

- what would you like to be when you grow up? LOL, I love this question because I'm still always thinking about that. . . but my answer is "I'd like to be a knit and crochet wear designer with my own shop and several books under my belt"

- favorite jeweller/artists/designers? I do love Debbie Bliss for her timeless, classic designs and Candy Jensen for her fun and funky designs for everyone. Both are yarnwear designers.

- favorite websites? Mine and Etsy!
Thanks for answering these questions and inspiring other crafts people.

No comments:

Related Links

Related Posts with Thumbnails