Sunday, November 18, 2007

Charmed by Kirsten


Kirsten, is a newcomer to the scene who is enjoying quite a success already.

- How did you get started ?
I started selling pocket stones a few years ago on my own website, but it didn't go over too well. Last February I went to a flea market with a friend and picked up some stone beads. I started putting them on cords and it was all downhill from there! I set up my Etsy store in March.

- Where are you from?
Northern California, born and bred.
- Are your creations limited editions or unique?
I never re-make something unless someone specifically requests it. So in theory, yes, they are all one of a kind pieces. If you're crushed that something sold and you really wanted it, I'll do my best to make it again for you!

- How long have you been doing it?
I learned how to macrame when I was 11 years old, but never did it beyond that learning process. I randomly recalled how to do it this May, and have been expanding the idea ever since. Earrings are just all random as well. A friend of mine showed me how to loop a headpin properly, and the rest is me guessing.

- Are you a professional artist or is this a hobby?
Can I be a professional hobbiest? Or an artistic lallygagger? I would like this to be a profession, but I am just starting out!

- What inspires you?
Colors, shapes, seasons, music. Ideas for what to make slam into my head and demand to become physical.

- What is your favorite piece and why?
I've tried answering this before, and I really don't know. If I make something that strikes my soul (or whatever, that sounds so dramatic!) I will keep it for myself!

- How do you promote your work?
Many many online communities. I also make things for my family and friends and give them a good deal as long as they promise to hand my card to anyone who even seems remotely interested!

- Where are you showing your work?
Just online currently. I recently featured my work at a jewelry party and it was quite a success!

- What is your favorite material?
Kyanite. I am madly madly in love with kyanite! There is something about that stone that just resonates with me.

- What advice you wish someone had told you when you started?
Don't put everything up on your website at once! Practice your technique before offering it for sale. You WILL get better, and your old stuff WILL be very embarrassing!

- Do you have any advice for fellow artists?
Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Etsy is easy to list on, yes, but your items will always look more impressive in person!

- Anything else you'd like to add?
I think you covered it well! :D

- Her site : http://www.earthcharms.etsy.com
- Her blog : http://www.earth-charms.blogspot.com

No comments:

Related Links

Related Posts with Thumbnails