Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Coconuts, Palm trees... everything I dream of

A few words with Joanne Abrahams the creativity of CoconutPalmDesigns
She makes amazing signs with Belizean hard or soft woods.


- How did you get started ?
I have been crafting for as long as I can remember. I began making signs out of wood only last year when I decided to make my niece a sign of her name for Christmas. Following that I designed and made a welcome sign for my brother and his wife. That went over so well my brother begged me to make a variety of other welcome signs for him to sell in Jamaica. I found that I really enjoyed working with wood more than any of the other mediums I've tried and so when I found out about Etsy I just had to join.

- Where are you from?
I was born in Calgary, Alberta, Canada and have lived in Kingston, Jamaica, Toronto, Ontario, Canada and now I live in Belize, Central America.

- Are your creations limited editions or unique?
My creations are limited editions.

- Are you a professional artist or is this a hobby?
Right now this is a hobby but I have plans for it to turn into a fulltime business.

- What inspires you?
This is always such a hard question to answer. Everything and nothing inspires me. I design mostly based on what I am designing, who it's for or where it's for.

- What is your favorite piece (that you still have for sale) and why?
My favorite sign is the Zig Zag Welcome Sign. I love the way the colors ended up working so well together. It's the simplest of my current signs but to me it's the most aesthetically pleasing.

- How do you promote your work?
I promote my work on the Etsy forums, through my blog, through word of mouth, family and friends and also my brother, in Jamaica, is a wholesaler so he markets them for me there.

- Joanne is showing and selling her work on etsy. Check her shop out. You may find just what you need.
a little selection great for Halloween :)


- anything else you'd like to add?
I love working with people to do custom orders. It's always so exciting for me to see someone's idea come alive.

2 comments:

creativesundries said...

Cool, kalicat!

Giftbearer said...

Looking good! I love wood too, so this is a good one to do a feature on.

Keep up the good work!

Related Links

Related Posts with Thumbnails