Sunday, October 14, 2007

Karen Copeland - Couture!

Hello Karen!

- How did you get started ?
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was about 4 or 5

- Where are you from?
Opp, Alabama

- Are your creations limited editions or unique?
Some of both actually

- How long have you been doing it?
I've been sewing since I was 4 or 5, but I've been sewing for others for about 30 years

- Are you a professional artist or is this a hobby?
That's a really difficult question...I don't look at it as a "job", but it is definately more than a hobby.


- What inspires you?
Fabrics! Most fabrics just sort of "speak" to me and "tell" me what they should be made into!

- What is your favorite piece (that you still have for sale) and why?
Well, my favorite would probably have to be the memory quilts that I make for people. I love taking their photos and putting them with special fabrics to tell their life story.

- How do you promote your work?
Word of mouth has always been my best promotion, but I also give out business cards, promote in the forums here at Etsy, blog, myspace, classmates.com, and local ISP classifieds.

- Where are you showing your work?
I do a few craft shows each year, and I also have a room set up at home where the "locals" can come by. Of course there's also my Etsy shop!

- What advice you wish someone had told you when you started?
Not to be affraid to price my items in a way that I actually "made" something! I used to be notorious for underpricing my items because I was affraid people would not buy them otherwise.

- Do you have any advice for fellow artists?
Never give up! Enjoy what you do!

- Her site - http://soandsewcrafty.etsy.com
- Her blog - http://soandsewcrafty.blogspot.com

No comments:

Related Links

Related Posts with Thumbnails