Friday, October 12, 2007

Funky Art and Jewelry to adorn your body and home!

Ever thought of wearing pendants with your favorite images?
This is one of the things Yasmin has been proposing for over a year now.
- Her site - http://Yaslani.Etsy.com


- How did you get started ?
I’ve been painting and drawing since I was old enough to hold a crayon. My mother made everything…our clothes, costumes for Halloween, cards for holidays. Even our Christmas tree got recycled. Mom would use the dry pine needles to stuff pillows and my dad would carve a nativity scene for the next Christmas. When you grow up without money you are forced to be creative.

- Are your creations limited editions or unique?
Eventually I’d love to do prints or limited editions but for now all of my pieces are unique…a little piece of me, if you will : )

- How long have you been doing it?
I’ve been selling my artwork online for a little over a year.

- Are you a professional artist or is this a hobby?
Listen up fellow artists…the first time someone gives you money for your work it is no longer a hobby. You are
now a professional and don’t let anyone tell you different.

- Where are you from?
I’m born and raised on the Jersey Shore. A place where they say you either kick ass or get your ass kicked. That’s the philosophy we grow up with and it toughens you up quick. (I totally understand if you don’t use that quote : )I also lived and went to art school in Los Angeles which is quite opposite of Jersey but I love it there too. I plan to retire in LA.

- How do you promote your work?
I do what I call “subversive and guerilla marketing”. I work a 9-5 job in a very very corporate environment so I combine traditional marketing techniques with my creative quest for attention. I have a couple cool ideas that I have tried that really do work:

1. Page yourself when you are at the airport. Let people get used to hearing your name. Try this at the mall too.
2. Leave your business card and a sample (if you can afford it) when you leave a tip for your waiter or waitress. Don’t forget to leave an actual tip too. It’s mean to stiff the wait staff.
3. Include your business card or flyer when you mail your bills. Hello??? You don’t even have to pay for postage!
4. Make up a bumper sticker with your website and put it on your car
5. Comment on blogs and always leave your site name.
I’m also writing a book with a bunch of my crazy marketing ideas so stay tuned.

- Do you have any advice for fellow artists?
Don’t listen to those idiots that say it’s impossible to make a living from art. Those people are jealous because you are doing what you love and they are sad little sheep trapped in a claustrophobic cubicle. They wish they had the guts to be you.

- anything else you'd like to add?
Believe in what you do. A true artist is independent of the opinion of others. Do your thing and laugh all the way to the bank!

Isn't she just right? Visit her shop for your own special pendant.

1 comment:

Yasmin said...

Thanks so much Cat!!! Your blog Rocks!

Related Links

Related Posts with Thumbnails